Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Weird
Fearing that all my internet searches were rather mainstream, I resolved to press the random "next blog" button until I found a site that was interesting. What I got of course was just pain weird. So in the grand tradition of cheap British tabloid television, I present the first of a very occasional series of highlights from the stranger side of the blogosphere...


First comes “I was a teenager Fungi from Yuggoth” which despite the title is a Spanish language site. My Spanish isn’t good enough to actually know what is going on here but that’s half the fun isn’t it? For example I can only guess what is happening with this painting:

woman and octopus


woman seeks sexual satisfaction from foamy detergent and a large freshly cooked octopus. The funny thing is I think that the guy who runs this site persuaded his girlfriend to pose with a real octopus for similar pics in the style of a readers’ wives homage. Not a live octopus I presume, I only hope it was freshly caught! If you are viewing this at some future time, go to the July 2005 archive and see the result for yourself.



Second is In my tree . In My tree looks like it is attempting a kind of blog haiku. A typical post consists of an atmospheric picture accompanied by poetic musings. For example...

surfer
I ride the wave where it takes me...

This strategy comes across as a bit kitsch if truth be told, a bit like a set of Athena posters that decorated many a teenager’s bedroom in the 1980s--if you’re a British reader of a certain generation you’ll get the reference--if not think of one of those inspirational picturers they have in the office of car rental films of soaring eagles with strap lines like “success” or “striving.” However there is a dark undertone to some of the texts suggesting either a satirical bent or a disturbed mind or both perhaps...

surfer
I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind...



Finally, in the name of balance I present Asas D'anjo who combines Athena poster kitsch with naked bodies (actually much more like the output of Athena in its hey day). These images are juxtaposed with poetic musings in Spanish. I confess that I understand very little of what is going on here.

surfer

No comments: