Friday, February 08, 2008

Please take my survey.

If you have come across this blog I would be very grateful if you could click on the following link and take the survey.

http://users.aber.ac.uk/ram05/survey.html

You do not have to be a serious gamer to take part. all you need to have done is played a videogame. The survey is very short and should not take more than a few minutes of you time.

I am interested in why playing games is such a different experience from watching them, and from watching other kinds of media like TV and films. I have a theory that the feeling of greater involvement players experience with videogames is to do with the way people model the layout of their environment in their heads, which then gets applied to videogames as if they are real environments. This faculty is not so engaged when watching a film or TV because from a very early age we learn that we cannot interact with these kinds of media, so we tend to sit back and scrutinise them instead. I don't want to say more than that because I don't want those taking the survey to have their expectations micro managed.

No comments: